Friday, October 21, 2005

Another day, another subte catastrophe

Last night I left the office a little late and, like usual, took the subte to get back home. Strangely it was relatively empty and even managed to find a seat. I am sitting quietly reading the evening paper when I notice the girl sitting next to me, look up and move as though to get up for someone. I glance up and see a heavily pregnant woman heading towards us. I put my hand on the girl’s arm and tell her not too worry, that I will get up and leave the woman my seat. I look at the woman, smile and ask her if she would like my place. She looks at me a bit puzzled so I explain that seeing as she is pregnant I would be more than happy to leave her my seat. The woman gives me a killer look and starts shouting at me and insulting me. She asks me, screaming, how dare I think she is pregnant! A teenager next to me starts laughing so hard that he has difficulty breathing, the rest of the passengers avoid my glance and look embarrassed. Turns out the pregnant woman is actually just fat! Hehe. Embarrassed and fearful I get off the train a station early and walk home.

4 Comments:

Blogger tombrad said...

You are not the only, I made the same mistake time ago with an old-time fiancee....Im still embarrased

7:28 pm  
Blogger quel said...

well, I feel if obese people would lose weight, us regular sized people wouldn't have these awkward scenarios of unusual kindness.

I feel for you, its embarrassing.

4:36 pm  
Blogger Sheila said...

Wonko, your commute seems to be full of perils. Is there any other way you can get to and from work?

Quel, it is not so simple for people with weight problems to lose it. I would imagine they were much more embarrassed.

10:30 pm  
Blogger Wonko the Sad Clown said...

I actually saw the woman again two days later and had to run away so as not to be seen :)

11:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home