Friday, November 11, 2005

I nearly died last night

I nearly died last night.

It was just past eight in the evening and I was walking around Recoletta. Molten head lights and chatting voices mixed in the springtime air like streams. Scents glided past like currents: the hungry smell of roasting meat, the inviting perfume of giggling girls, the acrid stench of a pool of vomit. I strolled the cobbled streets aimlessly, watching the crowds. Next to me rose the cemetery’s brick wall, straight and towering. Suddenly I half see something move above me and look up in surprise. I am just in time to see a brick drop through the sky, graze the point of my nose and smash on to the floor in an explosion of shards. I stare at the several kilos of brick pieces littering the street and realize that if it had hit me; bits of my brain would be mixed with the debris and my blood would be staining an Argentinean street.

Then again, if the brick had actually hit me, I would surely not even have ever known.

Life is strange in that way. One worries about not smoking, about eating healthily, about not going in dangerous places (well, I don’t but some people do..), and then you find your life truncated by a wobbly brick!

5 Comments:

Blogger quel said...

To answer your question: i'm 36.
The irony of your story here is killing me. I was opening a plastic package with tweezers yesterday, hand slipped, stabbed myself in the other hand with the tweezers. I thought "I am going to die in the most bizarre way". ie-slice jugular with nail clippers or slip in my hallway-bang my head-have aneurysm or, well, you get the picture. So I live how I want, I eat healthy when I want, I smoke when I want, I do whatever I want when I want...

1:58 pm  
Blogger corpodibacco said...

dude! glad you're still among the few! now, please run out and go to play that lottery, at once.

2:20 pm  
Blogger tombrad said...

Death is just around the corner, and when you gotta go, you gotta go ;-D

Anyway to die in a bizarre and quick way is much better than a long, dirty illnes. Skull broked from a falling brick, near a cementery! slice jugular with nail clippers! sounds great!!

2:20 pm  
Blogger Wonko the Sad Clown said...

Furthmore it was the poshest and most fancy cemetary in all of Latin America! I would have liked a nice tomb between Eva Peron´s and General Videla´s

2:44 pm  
Blogger tombrad said...

Sure it is, and dont forget Carlitos Gardel! (I suppose it rest in la Recoleta also)

I just passed in taxi besides, no time to visit inside

12:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home